About Hardy Girls
Hardy Girls is a Maine-based, research-driven nonprofit with the mission of taking girls & nonbinary youth seriously and putting the power in their hands to challenge a society that ignores their brilliance. We dare adult allies to join us. Our vision is girls and nonbinary youth causing a ruckus. Started in 2000, Hardy Girls serves over 800 girls and nonbinary youth annually across six programs that inspire curiosity, critical thinking, coalition-building, and challenging the status quo.
Hardy Girls seeks a part-time temporary contract (12-30 hrs/month) Program Assistant to support the in-person gatherings of the Feminist Action Board (FAB). The successful candidate will have experience working with teenage girls and nonbinary youth, facilitation skills, and strong communication skills. This position supports and is supervised by the Teen Programs and Training Institute Program Manager.
FAB is a yearlong, statewide program for high school girls and nonbinary youth to develop advocacy skills, build coalition, and create opportunities for leadership. “FABbers” meet in two regional cohorts monthly, attend overnight retreats in August and January, and work in pairs to develop workshops and content for our spring Be You Boldly! Conferences, which have hundreds of elementary and middle school attendees. FABbers are also some of the coolest people you will ever meet, nbd.
During the program year, FAB regularly hosts guest speakers, participates in activist opportunities, and works to pursue group learning about feminist topics of particular interest to them. The responsibility of program staff is to support and scaffold FAB being youth-led by providing appropriate assistance planning and coordinating FAB communications both online and in-person.
The Program Assistant Role requires:
- Attendance at all FAB Meetings to support the Program Manager with meeting facilitation with responsibilities at meetings including
- Modeling the practice of and supporting the development of a youth-led feminist culture that functions to dismantle systems of oppression
- Providing focused, responsive presence to youth participants, stepping in to provide 1-1 support as needed and directed by participant needs
- Supporting pairs of youth in developing 50-minute conference workshops on the topic of their choice through consultation and project management assistance
- Attendance at all three Be You Boldly Conferences to support logistical needs of FAB members during their workshops with responsibilities
- Other duties as they arise
Experiences, Skills, and Qualities
- Active desire to topple the patriarchy and call out white supremacy.
- Passion for Hardy Girls’ mission, with an understanding of issues and trends affecting girls and nonbinary youth, particularly in Maine.
- Experience working youth in grades 9-12 in professional and/or volunteer capacities
- Knowledge of trauma-responsive practices
- Willingness to be flexible and responsive across a variety of communication platforms to connect with youth to expand accessibility of programs and participant engagement.
- Ability to work independently, demonstrated aptitude in self-directed performance and communication with staff and youth participants
- Experience in the behavioral health field
- Experience working in the fields of girls development, youth activism, and/or LGBTQ+ youth support
- Established connection to local activist and/or youth-serving organizations
- This position requires monthly presence on Sundays from 10 am- 3:30 pm in the Bangor, ME area and in Portland ME. Candidate must be available to attend all meetings in person, so a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are required. Travel reimbursement from Hardy Girls’ Augusta office is available per our transportation reimbursement policy.
- This is a contract temporary position offered at $18/hr through May 2024.
- The successful candidate must be available to attend the following in person FAB events:
- October Meetings
- Sunday 10/22, 10 am – 4 pm, Bangor Area
- Sunday 10/29, 10 am – 4 pm, Portland Area
- November Meetings
- Sunday 11/12, 10 am – 4 pm, Bangor Area
- Sunday 11/19, 10 am – 4 pm, Portland Area
- December Meeting/Holiday Party
- Sunday 12/10, 10 am – 4 pm, Augusta
- January Retreat
- 01/13-01/14: Overnight retreat, likely Portland Area
- February Meetings
- Sunday 02/04, 10 am – 4 pm, Bangor Area
- Sunday 02/11/24, 10 am – 4 pm, Portland Area
- March Meetings
- Sunday 03/10/24, 10 am – 4 pm, Bangor Area
- Sunday 03/17/24, 10 am – 4 pm, Portland Area
- Be You Boldly! Conferences
- Tuesday 03/26, 7 am – 4 pm, Ellsworth Area
- Wednesday 03/27, 7 am – 4 pm, Waterville
- Thursday 03/27, 7 am – 4 pm, Portland Area
- April Meetings
- Sunday 04/21/24, 10 am – 4 pm, Bangor Area
- Sunday 04/28/24, 10 am – 4 pm, Portland Area
- May Closing Session
- Sunday 05/19, 10 am – 4 pm, Augusta Area
- This position will require connection with youth via text, Slack, and email during regular business hours.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Assistant” in the subject line by 9/30/2023. No calls please. Anticipated start date of 10/16/2023.
download a pdf of this posting